Sunday 13 March 2011

Training - Day 1

Well, it's started. I am officially in training. On 31st May, in London, I and the rest of my team will be running 10 Km, to raise money for BASICS-London. Now, for those of you who don't know me, I'm not what you would call athletic. My idea of exercise is pressing the button on the electric recliner. I find I get short of breath walking too fast up the stairs (well, there are two flights in Chez RRD), and got a cat rather than a dog, to save on the walking.

And yet I have signed up as one of 8 runners, participating in the Bupa London 10K run, on May 31st. Princess RRD is running with me (well, far out in front of me), as are BigNeph, Scissors, Flasher, GasPasser and Shrink. Over the next couple of months I will need to get my fitness up to a level where I don't end up needing the services of my ambulance colleagues, who will be watching me from the side of the road. You will be able to see how I am doing, by looking at one of the panels to the right, which will be updated every time I do any training. Hopefully, by me knowing that you are all watching, I will be encouraged to keep up the effort.

What will also encourage me is if I start receiving some sponsorship for this run. After all, I'm not doing it for my own health!! In fact, at my age, the money I raise by doing this run may well have to go towards my knee replacement! But seriously, if any of you wish to sponsor me for this run, all proceeds going to support BASICS-London, and the doctors that volunteer, just click on the PayPal link to the right. Do post a message along with your donation - we always like to hear words of encouragement.

There will be regular postings, telling you just how far I have run in total during my training, as well as - hopefully - a live update on race day itself!!

1 comment:

  1. Good Luck on you running and sponsorship, I have only just found this blog via Insomniacmedic can i just say awesome. I have recently started my own (http://manchesteregg2010.wordpress.com) and thought I was doing an ok job till I read yours and Imedics. once again keep up the brilliant work and hope your run is injury free

    ReplyDelete