Monday 19 October 2009

Helping Hand

So I'm driving home, after looking after a drunk, who decided that tonight would be a good night to run out in front of a car. Fortunately for him, tonight was also the night for the car under which he threw himself was being driven by a very good driver, and his injuries are more likely to be due to the fall, rather than the car. After checking him over, I leave him to the capable hands of the paras, and start my journey back home.

I'm about 5 minutes away from home, when I see a car fly out of a side turning in front of me, straight into the side of another vehicle, before swerving into the side turning opposite, and coming to a less than graceful stop.

I'm remarkably calm, considering what I have just witnessed. My biggest fear is arriving on scene before the ambulance staff, as that always leaves me very vulnerable and unsure of what to do next. I know that sounds very wimpy, but I depend very much on the experience and assistance of the paras and emts out there.

Anyway, I calmly flick my blue lights on, and park up on the side of the road, next to the wreckage. I am already in my jumpsuit, as I generally don't change out of it at the roadside - too dangerous. I then assess the scene:

There is a car in the middle of the road - it looks on fire, as there is smoke coming out of the side window. The car that has done all the damage is in the side road, and is relatively intact. I can see the driver, an elderly gentleman, sitting in the car, looking somewhat dazed, but otherwise ok. I therefore make the other vehicle my initial priority.

I look into the car - I can see smoke, but no fire. The airbag has deployed, and I realise that the smoke is from there, rather than anything else. There is a single occupant, and she looks alright. She is fully conscious and has no pain anywhere. I leave her and make my way to the other car. En route I call up to Control, and let them know that I have come across the accident, requesting an ambulance.

As I get to the other car and peer in, I am bodily pulled away. I turn, to find a chap, tugging at my jumpsuit. "It's ok," he tells me. "I've seen Casualty, and I can look after him" Good, thank you, now why do you think I am wearing a bright orange jumpsuit with the word "Doctor" emblazoned on my back? I gently, but firmly pull him away from the car, and explain that I would probably be able to cope. He looks at me, and asks what he can do to help. I suggest that he could make sure that no traffic comes down the side road. He eagerly ran off to do so.

A few minutes later, once I had ascertained that the gentleman was relatively unharmed, I became aware of the sounds of car horns blaring behind me, on the main road. I look up, and see my helpful chap, in the middle of the main road, cars all around him. Somehow, he has managed to get the cars to all drive on the right hand side of the road, in both directions. I rush over, and ask him what has happened. He shrugs, and tells me that he was trying to keep the cars out of my way, but that they didn't quite understand his intentions.

"Sir," I say, "Where do you live?" He points to a house across the road. "Now, I need you to do something very important for me." He looks up at me eagerly. "Go across to your house and call someone."

"Who?" he asks.

"Anyone!" I reply.

4 comments:

  1. "Don't just do something, stand there!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it totally wrong that I've just laughed so hard that my kids asked from upstairs "what's so funny???"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aaaw, bless him ... he was only trying to help. Like when my youngest cleaned the kitchen floor with furniture polish and we all went ice skating, but not as much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We always go through this stage, where we look at the youth of today, and mindlessly bundle them into a catch all, they're no good. Trouble is there is always a helpful puppy out there, willingly sent to do a task that is not there forte.

    Hence my strategy of "quickly, grab the blue blanket, and stay close to me"

    I was never questioned about this, but I never kicked a helpful puppy (too much).

    Bless Him....

    ReplyDelete